Friday, July 9, 2010

So it is not the best picture but here is a picture of me in the chudidar kurta. This was on our tour of Bangalore and we were about to enter a Sikh temple which is why my head is covered and I am washing my feet.

Since classes are now in full swing my days are busy and time is going by fast. I am taking Yoga and am really excited to learn all about the Yoga way of life, even though I could never adhere since it means giving up tea/coffee. Yikes! I have never taken Yoga before, maybe when I get home I will take some classes and see how they compare. I'm sure I won't get the background information and learn from someone who practices every facet of Yoga life. All eight steps to bliss, maybe I can get there in six weeks, but generally it takes years.

Today I had my first experience washing a load of laundry completely by hand. I have been spoiled in the past when I have studied abroad because both Newbold and Avondale had laundry service and I could drop it off and when I came to pick it up it was clean and folded. Talk about luxury. I definitely won't be waiting another two weeks before I do laundry again, that was my first mistake, letting the clothes pile up. It took me all afternoon of scrubbing and rinsing clothes and now I am sure they won't be dry for two days! The plus side is my room smells fresh and clean like laundry detergent. The next fun task after they are dry? Ironing everything... Hopefully I don't burn myself again.

Today we were able to sit in on a class where they had a traditional Indian dance demonstration. I can't believe I forgot my camera in my room! The girls danced beautifully and looked gorgeous in their costumes and make-up. About ten of us have signed up to take dance classes now with the dance instructor who is a gold medalist and absolutely amazing. I was hesitant at first to sign up for the classes since I have no rhythm but when will I have this opportunity again? So, I decided to go for it. I think at the end of our time here we will perform our dance for the rest of the students so I will try to get someone to take a video.

After watching the traditional Indian dancing we did something very nontraditional- went to eat at Bocca Grande- the "American" restaurant here in Bangalore. I almost feel guilty here when I don't eat Indian food which is silly since I don't feel guilty at home for not eating American food! I have been feeling a little under the weather from allergies so it was really nice to have a bowl of soup and some bread. It is funny how something so simple can remind you of home and make you feel better.

Tomorrow we leave bright and early (6am!) for Mysore which I am really excited about! It is an included trip with our tuition so the bus, lodging, meals etc. are all included. We will be taking a tour and I am crossing my fingers it won't be raining so I can ride an elephant! I can't believe it has already been almost two weeks here. I am adapting and enjoying myself immensely but still missing Rex a lot (of course!)

6 comments:

  1. Riding an elephant!? So cool (ANTM baby!) I'm glad you are having such fun experiences even if you have to wash all your clothes by hand.

    By the way you look totally cute in your clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indian cooking classes, dance classes, I love it. I also think you look very cute in your picture. Can't wait to see pictures from this weekend I hope weather cooperates and elephant riding is possible.
    Take your advice and wash clothes every couple of days or at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We didn't know anything about this trip...just stumbled upon this page. What are you studying,? and how long will you be there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW I looked up cashews and found they are not from Jackfruit. They are grown in Africa. The fruit looks a little bit like Jackfruit. One thing about jackfruit is it's other name is vegatarian meat and comes canned. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got back from Mysore, will try to post at least one picture and write about it later.
    I am studying international social work and will be here for another 4 weeks.
    Mom- The trees are actually native to Brazil and the Portuguese brought them to Goa (where I was)in the 1560s. They eventually were exported to Africa.
    Also, I wrote that the chanting was coming from a Hindu temple but I meant an ISKON (International Society for Krishna Consciousness)which is derived from Hinduism but focuses on the god Krishna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to hear more about Mysore. I saw Jeanetta and she is so thankful for you taking all that stuff. She said that her daughter would really like to take you out to eat to thank you. Dad didn't have time to get the phone cards on Friday too busy, hopefully tomorrow. I really want to talk to you.

    ReplyDelete